Wednesday, August 13, 2008

FOPalooza

Greetings Knitlings! Long time, no blog.
Pictured here is Weston, the stuffed sheep knitwear model (shhh he doesn't know he's a stuffed animal), showing off the Tweed Beret from Interweave Knits Winter 2006.



This was produced from Caron Simply Soft and was knit I think three times before it passed the test. I messed it up once and in my rage managed to rip it all out to the cast on row and beyond. It was during the early days of knitting on double points. We've come so far since then, Weston and I. The other attempt was huge and I made a mistake in the ending ribbing that I decided I couldn't live with. The third time proved to be the charm. It not only looks very fetching on Weston but is flattering to the somewhat oversized human head as well. I have worn it in public to rave reviews. The scarf on our model is my own design based on a stitch pattern I found in Knitting Dictionary, 800 Stitches and Patterns by Margaret Hamilton-Hunt. It is one of several chevron patterns in that volume. I wore this much of the winter with a gray wool coat. I know, I'm a bit behind in my blogging. It was the winter of scarves and hats in a never-ending quest to find warm newspaper delivery wear. Let's all give Weston a round of applause for his fine modeling.

Next up is the Boston Baby Wear. This layette was produced for Samuel Caesar Wood Perriello, recently of Somerville, Mass. He joined the crowd in Boston on June 26 - right on time. It's a shame I wasn't. I decided the week he was born to add the hat and booties. I also knit him a baby blanket - the Easy Eyelet Blanket from Knitting for Baby by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas - sadly not pictured before it went in the mail. Samuel was recently photographed wearing the sweater while vacationing on Cape Cod. He looked very New English and ready for fall. Hopefully he doesn't grow out of it before the leaves turn.



Now it's back to the Olympic crocheting. I've got a Happy Blanket on the hook for a baby that's been here awhile. It will be done before the swimming I'm hoping. Go Phelps! And it is appropriately USA-themed. Carry on.

No comments: